DSS 700 Strategy and U.S. Defense Policy
DSS 721 Missile Defense, Proliferation and Modern Warfare
Extensive experience in government think tanks and academia as a foreign relations and defense policy manager and analyst with responsibility for formulating national security and political-military issues across a wide range of functional and regional areas.
Director, Office of Missile Defense Policy, 2000-Present
- Responsible for managing a staff which formulates and implements international security policies and defense plans for missile defense. Serves within the Office of the Secretary of Defense as the staff official for policy development and oversight of matters related to missile defense in support of national security guidance, DoD policies and military plans, and security cooperation with friends and allies. Activities here include responsibility for policies and plans to address the proliferation of ballistic missiles and WMD.
Deputy Director, Office of Strategy, Forces and Operations, 1996-2004
- Served as office Deputy; assisted in managing a professional staff which developed policies and plans for strategic nuclear forces, ballistic missile defense and defense cooperation with friends and allies.
Foreign Affairs Specialist, Department of Defense, 1989-1996
- Staff policy planner with duties that included developing plans related to ballistic missile defense; arms control negotiations; NATO missile defense policy; and defense cooperation with Russia. From 1990-1992, served in Geneva, Switzerland as the DoD Senior Advisor to the U.S. Defense and Space Negotiations with the former Soviet Union.
Missouri State University, Graduate Department of Defense and Strategic Studies Faculty, 2005-Present
- DSS 700 Strategy and U.S. Defense Policy;
- DSS 721 Proliferation, Missile Defesne and Modern Warefare
Select Publications Related To Proliferation
- “Missile Defense and NATO Security,” Joint Forces Quarterly, no. 51, 4th Quarter, 2008, pp. 46-51;
- “A Worldwide Threat: Ballistic Missiles,” Rivista Militare, (Journal of the Italian Army), no. 3, May-June 2008, pp. 6-13;
- “Proliferation, Missile Defense and the Conduct of Modern War,” Comparative Strategy, vol. 25, no. 3, July-September 2006, pp. 157-171. Reprinted in Bradley A. Thayer, ed., American National Security Policy (Fairfax, VA: National Institute Press, 2007), pp. 52-61;
- “Theater Missile Defense and National Security Strategy,” Military Review, November-December 1999, pp. 31-36.
- Ph.D., International Relations, University of Southern California, 1987
- M.A., International Relations, University of Southern California, 1982
- M.A., Government, Claremont Graduate School, 1980